• Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Renewable Sources of Energy that Need Our Attention

November 11

Renewable Sources of Energy that Need Our Attention

Share this

Throughout history, humans have many technological discoveries. With every invention comes advancement, and we have definitely surpassed the generation of heat from rubbing rocks together. Over the years, we have seen leaps and bounds in terms of the types of energy available, leading to an increase in demand for renewable sources of energy. This has occured on a global scale, but can be analyzed on a local scale nonetheless. As of 2015, this is how New Brunswick's power was divided: 

5 Types of Energy Production in New Brunswick

  1. Wind:​​​​ To have a wind farm you must have a minimum of 5 turbines, and New Brunswick operates 3 different wind farms. There is one in Lamèque (30 turbines), Caribou (33 turbines), and Kent Hills (50 Turbines). These turbines produce between 3% - 5% of New Brunswick’s clean energy.
  2. Hydro: NB Power owns 7 hydroelectric stations. There’s the station in Nepisiguit, Sisson, Grand Falls, Tobique, Beechwood, Mactaquac, and Milltown. However, Mactaquac alone makes up 10% of the province's electricity. The other dams equal 12% of the province's energy. A total of 22% clean energy.
  3. Biomass: New Brunswick's only commercial biomass facility is in Edmundston. It operates with 3 turbines and creates over 53 MWH. This, in turn, creates 4% of NB’s clean energy.
  4. Fossil Fuels: All of Canada runs 22% of its electrical power from fossil fuels. New Brunswick holds a very similar number in that 20% of the province’s power is run from fossil fuels. A single coal factory in Bathurst is where the 20% of the province's power comes from.
  5. Nuclear fission: Canada has a total of 4 operating nuclear power plants. 3 can be found in Ontario, (Pickering, Bruce, and Darlington) and the other is in Point Lepreau, NB. Atlantic Canada’s only nuclear fission plant. It supplies 40% of New Brunswick’s energy needs.

So as a whole, New Brunswick is running off of 29% renewable sources of energy. However, NB’s goal is to be running off of 40% renewable energy by 2020. Seems a little out of reach. Thankfully, New Brunswick is making strides towards meeting this goal. By investing in more wind farms, taking advantage of solar power, and lessening the number of fossil fuels consumed, New Brunswick may be able to reach its 2020 goals of running off of 40% renewable energy. *

Renewable energy is a great system to lessen greenhouse gases and cut down on unnecessary costs. Sadly, not everyone is convinced that these new energy systems are valid and work. Some say it’s too expensive to install or simply a waste of space.

solar panels and windmill in the snow as renewable sources of energy

The World's Best Renewable Sources of Energy:


Solar energy is one of America’s fastest-growing source of renewable energy. This has to do with the fact that technology has propelled solar panels to be cheaper than ever, installation is made safer and faster, the panels are more efficient, and in some cases more stylish too.

“According to a Solar Energy Industries Association report, the United States’ solar installed capacity has increased dramatically since 2008—from 1.2 gigawatts in 2008 to an estimated 31.6 gigawatts halfway through 2016, which is enough to power the equivalent of 6.2 million average-sized American homes. For the first time ever, solar beat out natural gas capacity additions in 2015”.


There is no better place in the world to acquire wind energy than from Denmark. With their wind turbines, there have been cases when they have produced 140% of their country's energy in a day. Denmark had enough power to run their country for a day and help out their neighbors too.  As of 2012, Denmark’s wind turbines produced 40% of its countries energy. By 2020 they plan for wind turbines to run half of their energy. This market for wind power has given an estimated 29,000 people jobs as of 2014.


Dams take advantage of the resource that gives earth the nickname of the blue planet, water. In 2016 there’s a particular dam that did it better than anyone else. Its name is the Itaipu Dam and can be found between Brazil and Paraguay.

By the end of 2016, the dam produced a record-breaking 103,098,366 MWh. For those who don’t quite know what that means, the power generated by the dam could power all of Brazil for 2 months and 18 days and Paraguay for 7 years and 3 months. https://www.itaipu.gov.br 

It seems with some geographical studies and an understanding of renewable energy, every country can take advantage of each of their natural resources and reduce their carbon footprint. ​



https://energy.gov/eere/success-stories/articles/eere- success-story-futures-so-bright-youve-got-wear-shades-roles




Loved this? Spread the word

​Other posts